All vehicles (including trailers) have to have compulsory Mozambican 3rd Party Insurance in accordance with Article 157 of the Mozambican Road Law.
"Motor vehicles and their trailers, on terms to be set out in regulations, may only travel on a public roadway if they have obtained, in terms of special legislation, third party liability insurance."
In South Africa, the MVA Road Accident Fund provides compulsory cover to all users of South African roads, citizens and foreigners, against injuries sustained or death arising from accidents involving motor vehicles within the borders of South Africa. This cover is in the form of indemnity insurance to persons who cause the accident, as well as personal injury and death insurance to victims of motor vehicle accidents and their families.
Mozambique does not have a MVA Road Accident Fund. Hence the requirement to purchase the compulsory 3rd Party Insurance. Mozambican authorities need to be assured that if any liability is incurred by the use of foreign vehicles on their roads, that a Mozambican Insurance Company will assume liabilities incurred on behalf of the insured.
DriveMoz, in partnership with ICE-Mozambique offers Online 3rd party Policy which you can obtain from the comfort of your home.It's so Easy, just open the webpage, complete the details, pay, print & sign. International Commercial and Engineering (ICE) is a registered Mozambique Insurance company in accordance with Decree 30/2011 of 11 August. ICE Insurance Consultants are a Registered South African Financial Services Provider FSP 14001.
Buy it in the comfort of your own home / office. You can buy it long before the time to prepare everything for your trip, just select the correct date of entry. Same price as anywhere-else, same cover.
It's so Easy, just click on Buy Here above, complete the details, pay, print & sign. The insurance certificate will also be emailed to you for a back-up purpose (say your travel file disappears, falls in water etc.)
COMPULSORY THIRD PARTY LIABILITY MOTOR INSURANCE
Any accident caused by or through or in connection with any vehicle described in the schedule or in connection with the loading and/or unloading of such vehicle against all sums including claimant's cost and expenses with the insured and/or any passenger shall become legally liable to pay in respect of :-
- Death or bodily injury to any person but excluding death of or bodily injury to any person in the employ of the insured arising from and in the course of such employment or being a member of the same household as the as the insured.
- Damage to property other than property belonging to the insured or held in trust by or in the custody or control of the insured or being conveyed by loaded onto or unloaded from such vehicle
- The company will also:
- Pay all costs and expenses incurred with their written consent and shall be entitled at their discretion to arrange for representation at any inquest or inquiry in respect of any death which may be the subject of indemnity under this sub-section or for defending in any magistrates court any criminal proceedings in respect of any act causing or relating to any event which may be the subject of indemnity under this sub- section, provided that the total of the company's maximum liability shall not exceed the limit of indemnity stated in the policy
- Indemnify (in terms of and subject to the limitations of and for the purposes of this insurance) any person who is driving or using such vehicle on the insured's order or with the insured's permission provided that:
Indemnify the insured in respect of liability arising from the towing by a vehicle (other than for reward) of any other vehicle or trailer (including liability in connection with the towed or trailer), provided the company shall not be liable for damage to the towed vehicle or trailer nor to property therein or thereon.
- such person shall as though he were the insured observe, fulfil and be subject to the terms exceptions and conditions of this insurance in so far as they can apply
- such person driving such vehicle has not been refused any motor insurance or continuance thereof by any insurer
- indemnity shall not apply in respect of claims made by any member of the same household as such person
- such person is not entitled to indemnity under any other policy except in respect of any amount not recoverable hereunder.
- Indemnify the insured while personally driving any private type motor car not belonging to him and not leased or hired to him under a lease or suspensive sale agreement, provided the insured is an individual and has insured hereunder a vehicle described under definition 2(a) or (b)
The company shall not be liable under this policy for:
death of or injury to any person being carried in or upon or entering or getting onto or alighting from a vehicle described in definition 2(a) (b) (c) (d) or (e) at the time of the occurrence of the event from which any claim arises
liability arising from the operation, demonstration or use for purposes other than maintenance or repair of a vehicle (unless it is a fork lift truck) or any tool or plant forming part of or attached or used in connection with a vehicle or anything manufactured by or contained in any such tool or plant.
Limits of Indemnity
Unless otherwise stated the liability of the company under this policy shall not exceed the limit of R1 000 000-00 (One Million South African Rand).
The term occurrence shall mean an occurrence or series of occurrences arising from one cause in connection with any one vehicle in respect of which indemnity is provided by this policy.
The term shall mean
private type motor cars (including station wagons, safari van's, estate cars and the like or similar vehicles designed to seat not more than 9 persons including the driver)
commercial vehicles and special type vehicles as described above
Motor cycles (including motor scooters and 3-wheeled vehicles
Buses (including any vehicle used for business purposes and designed to seat more than 9 persons, including the driver)
Trailers, i.e. any vehicle without means of self-propulsion designed to be drawn by a self-propelled vehicle, but excluding any parts or accessories not permanently fitted thereto
Waiver of subrogation rights
For the purpose of this section, the company waives all rights of subrogation or action which they may have or acquire against any other person to whom the indemnity hereunder applies and each person shall observe, fulfil and be subject to the terms exceptions and conditions (both general and specific) of this policy in so far as they can apply.
Where more than one insured is named in the schedule the company will indemnify each insured separately and not jointly and any liability arising between such insured shall be treated as though separate policies had been issued to each, provided that the aggregate liability of the company shall not exceed the limit of indemnity stated in the schedule.
Description of use clause
Use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes and for the business or occupation of the insured, excluding: Hiring, carriage of passengers for hire, carriage of fare paying passengers, racing, speed or other contest, rallies, trials, carriage of explosives or chemicals, or carriage of any load or passengers exceeding the capacity for which the vehicle is constructed or licensed to carry, or use for any purpose in connection with the motor trade. The indemnity to the insured in connection with any vehicle shall operate while such vehicle is in the custody or control of a member of the motor trade for the purpose of its overhaul, upkeep or repair.
The company shall not be liable for any accident, injury, loss, damage or liability
whilst the vehicle is being used otherwise than in accordance with the description of use clause
incurred outside the area which constitutes the Republic of Mocambique
whilst the vehicle is being used for any off road driving along the shoreline including whilst the vehicle is being used for the launching and/or recovery of any watercraft from the surf.
Incurred while any vehicle is being driven by:
- the insured whilst under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs (unless administered by or prescribed by and taken in accordance with the instructions of a member of the medical profession other than himself) or while not licensed to drive such vehicle
- any other person with the general consent of the insured who to the insured's knowledge is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs (unless administered by or prescribed by and taken in accordance with the instructions of a member of the medical profession other than himself) or is not licensed to drive such Provided that any driver shall be deemed to be licensed to drive the vehicle if he is complying with the licensing laws relating to any of the territories referred to under specific exception (b) or if non-compliance with any licensing law is solely because of failure to renew any license subject to periodic renewal of if a license is not required by law while such driver is learning to drive and is complying with the laws relating to learners.
Should the Insured vehicle or any part thereof or any trailer attached thereto or forming part of a train of trailers drawn thereby or any part of any such trailer or trailers (all of which are hereto referred to as “the insured vehicle” fail to comply with or meet in any respect the requirements for roadworthiness as required by legislation or of any provincial or local proclamation or statute which is applicable to the Insured vehicle of the territory in which it is being used or, having been so licensed, then all benefit under this policy in respect of any claim made shall be forfeit whether or not the roadworthiness of the vehicle was a cause of or contributed towards the occurrence given rise to such claim.
The company shall not be liable for any claim arising from contractual liability, unless such liability would have attached to the insured notwithstanding such
To any insured vehicle, third party vehicle or property arising from the conveyance of dangerous goods not disclosed to this company or resultant from the unsafe, insufficient or unsuitable packaging and or preparation of the subject matter transported.
If during the currency of this insurance any driver's licence in favour of the insured or their authorised driver is endorsed, suspended or cancelled or if such driver shall be charged or convicted of negligent, reckless or improper driving, notification shall be sent in writing to the company immediately the insured has knowledge of such fact.
a) On the happening of any event which may result in a claim under this policy the insured shall, at their own expense
i) give notice thereof to the company as soon as reasonably possible and provide particulars of any other Insurance covering such events as are hereby insured
ii) as soon as practicable after the event but not later than 30 days submit to the company full details in writing of any claim
iii) give the company such proofs, information, documentation and sworn declarations as the company may require and forward to the company immediately any notice of claim or any communication, writ, summons or other legal process issued or commenced against the insured in connection with the event giving rise to a claim
iv) As soon as practicable after any event that might lead to a claim report the incident to the relevant authorities.
b) No claim shall be payable unless the insured claims payment by serving legal process on the company within 6 months of the rejection of the claim in writing and pursues such proceedings to finality